Kinsta Review 2021 – Solid Hosting with One MAJOR Drawback
What is Kinsta?
Kinsta was founded by Mark Gavalda, a WordPress developer and sysadmin by trade. They have offices in London, Los Angeles, Budapest, and started offering hosting to the public in early 2014 (founded December 2013). They are no longer a newcomer when it comes to WordPress hosting, and they have already surpassed the competition when it comes to high-end performance.
|Our Rating:||Our Verdict: 5.0|
|SPEED:||689 ms (April 2020 to August 2020)|
|UPTIME:||99.96% (April 2020 to August 2020)|
|SUPPORT:||Expert WordPress support,Fast feedback,24/7 monitoring,100% solve rate|
|FEATURES:||Speed obsessive architecture,High security network,Next generation infrastructure,Google Cloud Platform,Free site migrations.|
|HOSTING PLANS:||STARTER,PRO,BUSINESS 1,BUSINESS 2,BUSINESS 3,BUSINESS 4,ENTERPRISE 1,ENTERPRISE 2,ENTERPRISE 3,ENTERPRISE 4|
|SITE TRANSFER:||Single WordPress Site for Free|
|PRICING:||Starting at $30/month|
What Do You Get with Kinsta?
If the idea of fast loading times, fewer website management tasks to take care of, and less downtime to worry about sounds appealing, then Kinsta could be the right web host for you. To see if that’s the case, let’s check out exactly what you get when you sign up with them.
Kinsta Review: Features
Kinsta have over 10 years of experience working with WordPress and we’ve poured all that know-how into creating the best managed WordPress hosting solution available today.
- Speed obsessive architecture
We use state-of-the-art technology like Nginx, PHP 8.0, LXD software containers, MariaDB, and compute-optimized VMs to make sure your website loads in the blink of an eye. Featuring complete resource isolation, automatic scalability, and high availability.
- LXD containers
- PHP 8.0
- High security network
A secure firewall powered by Cloudflare. Active and passive measures to stop attacks and malicious intent in its tracks. Continuous monitoring for uptime, free DDoS protection and mitigation, software-based restrictions, SSL support, and hardware firewalls. Bottom line: your site is monitored and secured 24/7.
- DDoS detection
- Hardware firewalls
- Uptime monitoring
- SSL support
- Next generation infrastructure
We employ only the best technology at Kinsta, from our server hardware to the software we run. No matter what development stack you use, we’ll always have the latest framework versions installed and up to date.
- Google Cloud Platform
Powered by Google Cloud Platform and its 27 global data centers. Everything is interconnected over its premium tier network, designed to minimize distance and hops, resulting in fast and secure transport of your data.
- Free site migrations
Moving your site to Kinsta won’t incur any downtime. Our expert migration team will take care of everything for you. We’ll assign a temporary domain to your migrated site and check everything before going live.
Kinsta Review: What Makes Kinsta a Standout WordPress Host?
Kinsta has a lot of great hosting features that would be good for any site, regardless of using WordPress.But instead of being a general host, Kinsta decided to specialize further and become the best WordPress host they could.
Here are the most important WordPress-specific features that Kinsta plans offer:
- Specialized WordPress Support Team
- Optimized WordPress Stack
- Extensive Security Measures
- Caching Optimized for Popular Plugins
- Free Site Migrations
Many of Kinsta’s core features also benefit WordPress sites, but they would also benefit any other type of site.
Kinsta Review: Support and Customer Service
- Kinsta Review: Support and Customer Service Expert WordPress support
- WordPress know-how
- Sharing the knowledge
- Kinsta Review: Support and Customer Service Fast feedback
- Always there for you
- Efficient communication
- Kinsta Review: Support and Customer Service 24/7 monitoring
- Website status
- Internal monitoring
- Kinsta Review: Support and Customer Service 100% solve rate
- Every issue solved
Technical Details Of Kinsta Managed WordPress Hosting
This section of our Kinsta review should answer any questions you may have about the finer points and technical details of this service before we move on to the site speed, uptime, and performance test results:
- Website caching: Four types of caching in place, including server-level caching and an in-house WordPress caching plugin.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN): 50 GB of KeyCDN usage per month on the entry-level Kinsta plan; more on the higher plans.
- PHP: Switch between PHP 5.6, 7, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 at the touch of a button.
- HTTP/2.0: In use on the servers and the CDN.
- SSL: Get a free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt, or install your own.
- SFTP: Secure FTP access to your web space for uploading and editing files.
- Server file manager: No online file manager; just FTP access to the server space.
- Database access: phpMyAdmin is used to access the WordPress website database through a browser.
- Email service: No email service on any of the Kinsta plans; G Suite is the recommended option.
- WordPress website management: Ability to update plugins through the My Kinsta account dashboard, but no automatic plugin or WordPress core software updates.
- Plugin restrictions: There’s a list of banned plugins, including some caching, security, and optimization plugins that can affect website performance.
- Security measures: Lots of measures are in place to keep your site secure, including GeoIP blocking, DDoS scanning, proactively stopping malicious code entering the network, self-healing PHP, GCP firewall, plus more.
- Post-hack clean up services: If your site is hacked while hosted by Kinsta, they’ll fix it for free.
- Data center locations: 21 server locations to choose from, including options in Australia and South America, as well as multiple locations in the USA, Europe and Asia.
- Staging sites: All plans include access to a staging site with one-click deployment to the live site.
- WordPress website migration: Available for free on all hosting plans.
- Visitor analytics: View data on your website traffic through the My Kinsta dashboard.
- Uptime checks: The status of your site is checked every five minutes to allow the support team to respond to any instances of downtime that are detected.
- Support channels: A 24/7 live chat channel and ticketing system, but no telephone support.
10 Reasons Kinsta Is A Seriously Good Hosting Solution
- It’s Blazing Fast
- Cloud-Based Infrastructure Built For Speed
- Inclusive Software To Turbocharge You
- 99.9% Uptime Guaranteed
- It’s (Nearly) Hands-Off
- Awesome Technical Support
- Simple Set-Up And Migration
- Good For Traffic Spikes
- Optimised For E-Commerce Sites
What Does The Kinsta Dashboard Look Like
I’ve mentioned the nature of the dashboard briefly above, but now let’s take a glance at what it actually looks like from a user’s point of view
Through the panel, you can easily access:
- Your sites – it’s also where you can tune the initial setup, create new FTP accounts, see your past backups, add HTTPS, etc.
- Site migrations – a nice overview of all site migrations done on your account + the ability to perform more.
- DNS settings.
- Analytics – this section I really like. It’s a nice addition on top of what you get from a third-party analytics script.
There are also sections for Billing, Settings, Activity Log, and User Guide.
Kinsta Performance Tests
Kinsta checks the uptime performance of your website every 2 minutes. This means they check your website for approximately 720 times daily. It is remarkable and means that even if your website happens to be down, the situation can be resolved quickly.
Kinsta offers you one of the best uptime for any host you can use. This is a necessity for such a premium host. In fact, Kinsta is so confident of this that they guarantee you 99.9% uptime. This is something you want to see if you’re using this host.
Today, most pages weigh 2mb or even 20mb due to many elements like images and videos. That’s quite a lot of stress for most of the traditional managed WordPress hosting that exists today. You could have a page loading in 7 seconds or 11 or more. At a time when an increase in page load time could affect your conversions negatively.
When Brian Jackson migrated his website from WPEngine to Kinsta, its load time decreased from 1.01s to 679ms.
But not with Kinsta as your host. Kinsta makes your website run as fast as possible making it run faster than 90% of websites online no matter how heavy your website is.
Kinsta Review: Uptime Record (Last 1 Year)
Here’s the complete record of kinsta’s average uptime in the past 1 year:
- March 2021: 100%
- February 2021: 100%
- January 2021: 100%
- December 2020: 100%
- November 2020: 100%
- October 2020: 100%
- September 2020: 100%
- August 2020: 100%
- July 2020: 100%
- June 2020: 100%
- May 2020: 99.95% (scheduled maintenance)
- April 2020: 92.92%
Kinsta Works For You
Kinsta clients love us because we never settle on these
- Peace of mind
You’re free to focus on growing your business, let us handle your site. Always running, monitored, and scaling on-demand.
- Support that cares
Support is our number one priority. Pro-active WordPress experts at your service. They reach out when your attention is needed.
- User-friendly, yet powerful
Designed with beginners in mind and packed with advanced features developers will love. Start with a quick and simple install, or use our pro solutions right away.
Sucuri tests how long it takes a page to load all over the world, via a number of different servers. The fastest average loading time was a stupidly fast 0.144 seconds, the average-average was 0.631s, and the slowest average loading time was 2.033s.
Here’s one of the tests, so you get an idea of where the site loaded the fastest:
Kinsta also offers a number of security services. The company monitors uptime, response time, and detects DDoS attacks. In most cases, they are able to stop these attacks immediately if they occur.
SSL Certificates create a sense of security for both you and your visitors. In the Kinsta dashboard, you can easily add a free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate to your site.
Free Daily Backups
Every plan that Kinsta offers comes with free daily backups.
You can also create a manual backup for any individual site in your control panel at any time:
If you run a large site with dynamic content, it will make sense to pay for the hourly backups add-on.
Pros And Cons
Pros of Kisnta
- It’s blazing fast
- Cloud-based infrastructure made for speed
- Software to turbocharge you
- 99.9% uptime guaranteed
- It’s (nearly) hands-off
- Awesome technical support
- Simple set-up and migration
- Peace of mind
- Great for traffic spikes
- Optimised for e-commerce
Cons of Kinsta
- Steep price point
- No email hosting
- Lacks phone support
You can host one website on the Starter Plan. You can host 100 sites or more on the enterprise-level plans. Customers who need even greater options can request custom quotes.
|Exceed Limit by (Visitors)||Extra Cost|
Billing and Payment Options
You can pay monthly or annually for any Kinsta hosting plan. You get a bit of a discount with the annual option.
The payment options are a bit limited at Kinsta. They only accept the major credit cards (or debit cards by the same companies):
- American Express
If you have an annual subscription, you can also pay with a wire transfer.
PayPal is not accepted in any form at this point in time.
Kinsta offers fast, reliable managed WordPress hosting based on the Google Cloud Platform.
The unlimited features on each pricing tier, plus the advanced development features, will make it attractive to a wide variety of clients, especially those heavily customizing WordPress sites.
It is a good alternative to other hosting companies specializing in WordPress such as WP Engine.